Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pedaling Politics


Riding our bikes around the block last week, Katie, 9, noticed all the red, white and blue yard signs with presidential candidates’ names.

“Oh, Mommy! It was so funny,” she said to me with a big smile. “Skylar and I talked politics at lunch today.”

“I think that’s awesome,” I said.

She then gave two reasons why one of the vice presidential candidates shouldn’t be elected.

“I totally agree!,” I said, pedaling faster to keep up.

“I know!,” she said with annoyance. “You’re the one who told me that.”

My chest puffed with pride, causing me to swivel on my mountain bike.

Oops…but who cares if I crash?, I thought.

I had my helmet on to protect me, and the comforting thought that my political teaching (read: brainwashing) efforts work!

However, I live in one of those up-for-grab states, and I feel the need to further “educate” Katie as she gets closer to voting age.

(All right, that day is nine years away, 12 for a presidential election, but this is important.)

I saw See How They Run: Campaign Dreams, Election Schemes and the Race to the White House by Susan E. Goodman and Elwood H. Smith at my kids’ book fair last week.

And I know John McCain has a book out there for kids…Character is Destiny: Inspiring Stories Every Young Person Should Know and Every Adult Should Remember.

Anyone heard of any other children books by or about national politicians?

Is there a new Eric Carle book called Folksy Sarah, Folksy Sarah, What Do you Know?

A new Jack Prelutsky book called The Awful Ogre named Mr. Biden Running Wild – in Washington, forever and ever?

A new Judith Viorst book, Barack and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Economy?

I’m kidding.

I’m kidding.

I’m kidding.

I don’t really think all of these things about the candidates – just some of them.

5 comments:

Candy said...

you're so funny!!!

dnmring said...

Funny book titles Kristen - you did forget the new Dr. Seuss book - "Are you my McCain?" The first line reads, "Is that my McCain on a train, in a plane? Wait.... shush... I think I hear him behind that Bush!"

Kristen DeDeyn Kirk said...

Did you make that up?? I love it! And can I beg you to vote my way?!

Sally said...

This book looks GREAT! The McCain book by his daughter is awesome for kids - I read it to my class (second grade) and they were very attentive. The title is My Dad, John McCain.

Kristen DeDeyn Kirk said...

Thanks -- I have to look for that one.