Tuesday, October 7, 2008

If only…



If only Jillian can bite her tongue, she can make her relationship with Jackson work this time around.

If only she can impress his family and earn a sort-of smile from his mother, she’ll finally see a diamond on her left hand.

If only she can leave it to Jackson to finish writing his book and leave the wedding planning to everyone else, she and he will finally walk down the aisle.

And so it goes in Time Of My Life, which is being released today.

In her second novel, Allison Winn Scotch writes in the first person as Jillian Westfield, a 34-year-old perfectionist facing an early midlife crisis.

She used to run, and now she power walks.

She used to create advertising campaigns for mega companies, and now she watches bird droppings ooze over her car’s windshield.

She used to meet friends for drinks, and now she ignores the drink her 18-month-old daughter dumped over her head because she’s too exhausted to clean it up.

Coping with suburbia-induced boredom and husband-always-traveling loneliness is hard for Jillian, but when she learns that her ex-boyfriend is getting married, friends and acquaintances alike see that Jillian is crumbling.

She retreats to her masseuse and gets more of an escape than she bargained for: A trip back to her life of seven years ago with Jackson.

Time of My Life isn’t just about one woman’s struggle with identity, though. Allison adds depth to her book and validity to the dilemmas mothers face -- Did I marry the right man? Move to the right town? Make the right decision to stay home/work? Agree to have children at the right time? – by also chronicling Jillian’s boss’ marriage-career-children imbalance and Jillian’s mother’s extreme decision to turn her back on her family years ago.

To a lesser degree, Jackson’s sister is seeking to find herself as well, and so is Jillian’s best friend, Meg, who believes that only a child will fulfill her.

The subject matter is heavy, but never Allison’s writing. Jillian’s voice, real and confident, even if she’s not always feeling so, makes the book a quick read – which you'll appreciate: You see Jillian learning about herself along the way, although you’re not sure what conclusions she'll reach, and the suspense keeps you zooming to the lacking-in-cliché ending.

I entered Allison’s blog contest a few weeks back – talk about your “what if” moment -- and won a copy of Time of My Life. You can now do the same (although yours won’t be signed – I’m too greedy and I’m keeping it for myself!): Tell me about your “what if,” and I’ll pick one reader to receive a free copy, compliments of me and my mini-road trip to Barnes & Noble. It is, after all, Buy a Friend a Book Week.

Go, go, go. You have until Sunday at 12 a.m.!

19 comments:

Dar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dnmring said...

My "what if" moment came 21 years ago when I was searching for the path my education and career would take me. Should I stay where I was comfortable, with great friends and familiarity or strike out to a new school to complete my degree? A dear friend of mine went on a "road trip" to help me scout out new schools- after driving hundreds of miles, talking and laughing for hours and a few "adventures" I found a new university that "just felt right". By taking the uncertain and less comfortable road I changed the path of my life. I met my wonderful husband, completed my education and now have 3 great children and a career that I love. I thank my friend for helping me see that I could make it on my own and that true friendships last forever!

lil rascal said...

19 years ago I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease. The doctors told me that in 3 years I would be in a wheelchair and in 10 years I would be dead.

I didn't believe it, but never allowed myself to get involved in a relationship because I didn't ever want to burden anyone just in case they were right.

Dar said...

Kristen, I deleted my post as I got a copy of the book today. I made the mistake of going shopping and just couldn't resist once it was in my hands. lol. Thanks for the opportunity though-I'm much too impatient for my good.

Barrie said...

I'm buying the book. Just got my 15% off B&N coupon in my inbox! But I did want to stop by and say hi!

Bookfool said...

I'd like to know what would have happened if I'd put my foot down and refused to move to Mississippi -- instead staying in Oklahoma to work on my master's (which I've never gotten around to, here).

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I love the title of yours. We've been working at trying to share more reads in this family and it is sooo much fun to have books to talk about with both the husband and the kids (one grown and working, the other in high school).

DarlingDiva said...

My "what if" was made for me by a visious killer. Eight years ago I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and it took my chances away from having my own baby. So, this disease changed my life...butnot only for the bad but for the good also. I changed my career, my health, and my outlook on life and things have never been the same. I am more centered and could not imagine my life in any other way. Something was taken away from me but I gained alot more. So...the "what if" of life at times will enter my mind, but I cannot let that stop me

Gail Kent said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gail Kent said...

"What if" my mom and her friend hadn't been going to the movies one afternoon back in the '40s, and my dad and his friend hadn't been driving past the bus stop where they waited for a bus that had already passed, and "what if" my mom and her friend -- against their better judgment -- hadn't accepted a ride with them to the movies? Well, then, I wouldn't be here to write "what if"!

Just.Me said...

If only I would have listened to my gut instead of my hormones I wouldn't have wasted so many years being attacted to the wrong men!

Aimee said...

What if I had moved to SC to be with my then boyfriend? What would have happened when he had a change of heart and decided to move across the country, the move which ultimately ended our relationship. What if I didn't respond by moving myself - changing my job and my life, going back to school - all of it brought me to the man (and life) of my dreams!

debbie23322 said...

My "what if" moment was when I was deciding if we should move from California to Virginia. I had a small baby and my marriage of 18 years was in BIG trouble. I knew no matter what, it was a turning point in my life.

We did move and 3 months later my husband and I separated. I was here with no friends or family for over 2000 miles.

I still occasionally think how my life would be different if we hadn't moved. I have adjusted to Virginia and have great friends here. I know our quality of life is much better here than it would have been in California, but still sometimes I wonder...

Janel said...

What if I hadn't quit that dead end job and walked away from all of those not so good "friends."

darbyscloset said...

What if I had never rescued Lara from the shelter? I wouldn't have the love of a dog that I have now!!!
Darby
darbyscloset at yahoo dot com

cbahm said...

I've so many what-if moments in my life. For example: If I hadn't married my second husband on the rebound from my first, I wouldn't have my beautiful 18-year-old daughter today. :o)

Bunny B said...

What if I didn't have to go through with all those sucky relationships I've had. I wonder who I would've ended up with :P

bunnybx at gmail . com

merc3069 said...

"What if" I had believed all the experts who said I would never carry a baby to term? I would never have had the fertlity treatments, resulting in the beautiful 18 month old begging for my attention now!

Debbie Abrams Kaplan said...

What if...I won Allison's contest instead of you? I'd have already blogged about it too!

Okay, to be serious, what if I stayed at my old insurance job instead of working for myself as a journalist? Would I have been vice president by now (of the company, not the Republican party nomination)? Making oodles more money? How would life be different?

cbahm said...

OK, dying to know -- who won? :o)